New Jersey’s Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Classifies HIB as:
Harassment, intimidation, or bullying refers to any gesture, any written, verbal or physical act, or any electronic communication, whether it is a single incident or several incidents, that is rationally recognized as being motivated either by any actual or perceived characteristic, such as race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression, or a mental, physical or sensory disability, or by any other distinguishing characteristic, that transpires on school property, at any school sponsored function, on a school bus, or off school grounds as provided for in section 16 of P.L.2010, c.122 (C.18A:37-15.3), that significantly disturbs or interferes with the orderly operation of the school or the rights of other students and that:
- a reasonable person should recognize, under the circumstances, will have the effect of physically or emotionally harming a student or damaging the student’s property, or placing a student in reasonable fear of physical or emotional harm to his person or damage to his property;
- has the effect of offending or humiliating any student or group of students; or
- creates an intimidating educational environment for the student by inhibiting a student’s education or by relentlessly or persistently causing physical or emotional harm to the student.
Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying (HIB)
New Jersey has been at the forefront of establishing a strong statutory, regulatory policy and program agenda to support the prevention, remediation, and reporting of HIB in schools. Supplied below are information and resources to assist schools in the formation of HIB policies, the implementation of HIB program strategies, the execution of pre-emptive responses to HIB and the adoption of efficient HIB reporting processes.
The laws referenced below can be viewed at the New Jersey Legislature.
- N.J.S.A.18A:37-13 through 17
- N.J.S.A.2C:16-1 Bias intimidation
The codes listed below can be found at: N.J.A.C.6A:16
- N.J.A.C. 6A:16-5.2 Violence Awareness
- N.J.A.C. 6A:16-5.3 Incident reporting of violence, vandalism and alcohol and other drug abuse
- N.J.A.C. 6A:16-7.7 Harassment, intimidation, and bullying
For concerns regarding your school district HIB policy, contact the district Anti-Bullying Coordinator or the Anti-Bullying Specialist in your school.